Skip to main content

MY COVID STORY

 

My Covid Experience



With all the uncertainty and lack of consistent facts about the Covid 19 virus, I feel it is increasingly important that we share our personal experiences.  So, here is mine: 


Every winter, I get a tickle in my throat that leads to a cough at night.  This was the same way I felt that Friday.  So minimal that I wouldn’t even have called it a “cough” but a tickle at that point.  No other symptoms. Not one.  I went out to run errands, in my mask, as usual.  That evening, I went out to dinner with a friend and her daughter.  We sat across from each other for hours.  Didn’t wear masks. Didn’t share drinks or food.  Did share laughs and a brief hug.  When I got home, I was finding the urge to sit down and prop up my feet.  Weird. All I had been doing was sitting all evening!  Maybe it was because I was wearing boots and circulation had been minimal to my legs, I thought.  I started to notice a dull headache.  Probably dehydrated, I figured.  My family was out that evening, but when they returned my son snuggled up to me for about an hour before bed.  As the night progressed, the aching increased.  My hands were shaky and teeth aggressively chattered.  Hmm… it IS chilly in here but it always is, I thought.  I eventually took Motrin because the aching and headache woke me up.  I experienced night sweats and that seemed to be the end of it.  Headache was minimal, but still there in the morning. 


I discussed this all with my husband the next day. Huh.  “Better get tested just in case,” he suggested.  I had already canceled plans for the gym and plans with my parents.  Went to get a Rapid Antibody Test at my local urgent care.  POSITIVE!  I was kind of shocked. But, at this point the aching had returned and I thought well, I’m glad we caught it so soon!   I called my husband who started planning my “quarantine approach” and I contacted everyone I had been in close or my family had been close to the past week. I contacted my personal “on-call” medical professional who prescribed me her “Covid Cocktail”.  Then, I went to a different location to get a PCR test… for confirmation and curiosity.  I wore an N-95 in the car.  


I wasn’t going to start the prescriptions right away,  But, as I felt some tightening starting in my chest, I thought “well, this is stupid.”  Why wait for it to have a chance to fester in my lungs, etc?  After taking the medication, I started to feel less aching and headache went to a dull roar.  That was the worst it got with me.  I eventually lost taste and smell.  I coughed up stuff once in a while.  The dull headache lasted 1 wk, followed by a day or 2 of head congestion. Taste returned about 10-12 days out.  


At Day 4, I received word that my PCR test I took day 1 was NEGATIVE.  Because I had lost smell and taste at that point, I stayed in isolation and took a third test.  Another PCR.  This one ended up POSITIVE. 


Besides the prescription, I was also increasing my immunity with essential oils, vitamins, eating veggies, drinking a lot of water, and resting.  I kept my lungs pumping with some balloon breathing exercises and walking every day (in a surgical mask and > 6ft away from neighbors). I tried to avoid inflammation-inducing foods/drinks and took a probiotic nightly. 


No one in my family got it.  They tested negative several times.  My friend and her daughter did not get it.  None of the clients I saw that week prior got it.  I am 90% sure I got it from a client who had a “normal sinus issue” going on when I saw her.  I work on breathing with my clients.  We did not wear masks.  She had no temp.  This was “normal” for her.  She did end up testing + for antibodies several weeks later. Her family tested + the week after she saw me, though she tested - at that time. 


Why am I telling you all this?  There are a few things I learned and I want to help any one I can through my personal experiences.  That is how I’m wired.  A few significant things I learned: 


  1. The virus may not present obviously.  It seems to sneak in more subtly now.  If you are feeling ANYTHING, even if “normal” for you, don’t ignore it.  Assume guilty until proven otherwise. 

  2. Multiple tests taken at a few different periods/locations may be needed to adequately determine if you indeed have the virus. 

  3. EARLY intervention is KEY! Yes, I am healthy. But, I credit much of my quick recovery to starting a steroid pack BEFORE things got bad. 

  4. EARLY quarantine/isolation is super important.  I feel lucky that my viral load was minimal when I had those indoor, close encounters with family, friends and clients leading up to the day I tested positive.  Had I ignored it any longer, I don’t know if that would have been the same.





MY LUNG HEALTH & SUPPLEMENT ROUTINE




                                                                      
   Activity Routine

EVERY Day, I:       

         1. Went for a 20-30 min walk. (In a mask and keeping away from neighbors)
         2. Did my 3 Lung Health breathing exercises (access the full routine and explanations HERE)

   Supplement Routine
     * In addition to prescribed steroid pack & weekly Vit D

EVERY Day, I:

        1. Drank "Wellness Tea" using Essential Oils (Young Living's Frankincense, Thieves Blend,
            Lemon) & honey
        2. Took 1 probiotic nightly
        3. Took 1-2 immunity support supplements nightly (I chose Young Living's "ImmuPro")
        4. Took a steaming hot shower each night with drops of respiratory supportive Essential Oils
            (Young Living's RC Blend and Eucalyptus Radiata)
        5. Took 1 capsule of Young Living's "Inner Defense" essential oil blend each morning.
        6. Drank 1 glass of Vit C & Zinc Supplement (I chose Ener-C) 

General Routine

EVERY Day, I:

        1. Diffused immunity-supportive and respiratory-supportive Essential Oils nearby most of the day,
            definitely next to my bed
        2. Rested even when I was no longer exhausted
        3. Slept > 9 hrs each night

MOST Days, I (hey, no one's perfect):

        1. Ate lots of veggies
        2. Avoided inflammatory-provoking foods/drinks (namely, wine 😜)


     
I hope you find this helpful! And, most of all, that we all stay healthy & put the worst of this virus in our past. This routine is great for any respiratory virus and especially helpful BEFORE anything hits. Much of this I was doing prior to catching the virus, but boosted it up a notch and did it every day once it hit.

Have an amazing 2021!

❤, Kristen

PS - If you are interested in learning more about the specific supplements I used and where to find them, be sure to reach out! Email or text, whichever you prefer! And, don't forget to check out the Healthy Lung Program in the link above. It is an EXCELLENT resource.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are ALL Asymmetrical - Why it Matters

  Have you noticed a harder time with your front splits on one side? Or maybe it’s always been a struggle for you to get your turn-out on one side? No matter how much you stretch and strengthen, you will not achieve symmetry without compensation (which leads to injury).   Here’s why … Our bodies are NOT symmetrical! Take a look at these images of different systems in our bodies.   Notice how NONE of them are exactly the same on the left as the right. Illustration from Anatomy & Physiology, Connexions Website.                     Photo credit – Khan Viqar blogspot.com http://cnx.org/content/col11496/1.6/ , Jun 19, 2013.   The diaphragm inserts, on average, 1 full spinal segment lower on the Right (L3) than on the left (L2).   The Diaphragm - Actions - Innervation - TeachMeAnatomy The difference in the diaphragm dome height and attachment sites make every human better at inhaling into our left lungs and better at emptying our right lungs.   These underlying asymmetries tha

Those "Tricky" Hamstrings (Part 3)

So far, we have discussed the consequences of OVER STRETCHING and the role of the NERVOUS SYSTEM in treating and preventing hamstring injuries.  Now it's time to dive in to the ROTATIONAL component of our hamstrings.   We cannot treat the hamstring group in just one plane of motion.  Look at the diagram and notice that there are some hamstring muscles that attach to the inside (medial) side of the knee, and others that attach to the outside (lateral) side of the knee. When working together, the medial and lateral hamstrings will act in a coordinated manner to bend the knee and extend the hip.   Individually, the medial hamstrings turn the thigh inward (Internal Rotation or IR) and the lateral hamstrings turn the thigh outward (External Rotation or ER).  This means that the hamstrings are also a crucial player in side-to-side and rotational movements.  On the same lines, the hamstrings will act at the upper attachment at the pelvis.  The medial hamstrings will pull the p

SoftWave Therapy - The Latest Technology in Regenerative Medicine

There is a new "secret weapon" hitting the Medical and Performance industries - SoftWave Therapy. It is the latest technology in Regenerative Medicine and has been tested extensively in Europe for the past decade. Recently making it's way into the U.S., SoftWave is quickly taking hold.  We have been seeing exciting results with this device in our office over the past months, both immediate and long-term.  Read on for a summary of what makes SoftWave so unique and effective!  What is SoftWave?   Softwave Therapy essentially “tricks” the body into thinking a fresh trauma has occurred.   A series of pulses are applied to painful areas, which thin the cell membranes and alert the brain.   This kick-starts the natural healing process without actually causing trauma .   This response includes releasing RNA, attracting Stem Cells, increasing circulation, modulating inflammation, releasing growth factors involved in tissue regeneration, and forming new blood vessels